Yesterday I downloaded Dev10 from the MSDN site and installed it on my Win7 VM on my Mac. The first thing I noticed was that it ran like a three legged dog – that is to say, it was slow. 🙂
Hmm, I thought (I actually make that noise when I think) I have this VM set up to provide the maximum recommended RAM and yet this is still soooo slooooooow; I know it’s a beta product but even so, surely it shouldn’t run this slowly. And then I remembered… Dev10 uses WPF heavily. I remembered Oliver had had a performance issue with WPF and he had solved it by (counter intuitively) turning off the 3D acceleration on the VM he was using. So I tried the same thing and lo and behold, my Dev10 installation is now running at a sensible speed.
So if you are using Dev10 on a VM (and if you aren’t why not, it’s beta don’t you know) and you are having performance issues, then try disabling the 3D acceleration on your VM and see if things improve.